The Cold Side Air Intake was the reason the Jass Performance Fixed Headlights were developed for MX5 NA. In a naturally aspirated car it instantly brings the following advantages:
- Reduced Intake Air temperatures, being on the cold side (far from the exhaust manifold as the OEM setup)
- Ambient and below Air Intake temperature levels, due the cold air stream from the Jass Stealth Headlights or TSIs.
- Increased respose, due to the significantly shorter intake tract
- Increased high end power, due to shorter intake tract
- Increased air flow, due to optimised design vs. OEM. Smoother, with less bends and larger diameter.
The kit works only with MX5 NA with 1.8 engine, due to the smaller size of the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. It is only possible to be installed with the Jass Performance Stealth Headlights, which clear the needed space for the air filter.
The kit consists of
- Air intake, optimised for air flow and clearance from the water hoses. The setup is tested with OEM radiator at this moment, although it will work with aftermarket aluminium radiators, it might interfere with the water hose.
- Silicon hoses, clamps to attach to air intake, MAF and air filter. Two options are availalbe - black and red for the silicon hoses.
- K&N Air filter - the biggest possible filter to fit in the available space
- Breather filter for the rocker cover - two matching colour options available again - black and red.
- Polycarbonate Splash Guard for the air filter in case the kit is used with TSIs for a piece of mind and prolonged life of the filter
The Air intake is supplied partly assembled and the hardware installation is straight forward.
However the MAF connector needs to be rerouted to the new position (originaly at the rear left corner, connects now at the front right). Connector extension is not delivered with the kit as it is now available yet - I am expecting to have them end of February 2020. You should extend the cables yourself or source extension cable for the purpose.